Verifying the Tanium Core Platform deployment
After you install the Tanium Server (standalone or high availability (HA) cluster), Tanium Module Server, and optional Tanium Zone Server, verify that the servers are installed correctly and can communicate with all the necessary components of the Tanium Core Platform.
- Log into the Tanium Console for each Tanium Server that you installed: Use a supported web browser (see Web browser requirements) to open the Tanium Console URL (format is https://<Tanium_Server_FQDN>), and then enter the administrator username and password that you set when running the Tanium Server installation wizard.
When you first log in, the Tanium Server automatically imports the following items:
- Tanium™ Initial Content
- Basecontent pack, which include the sensors, packages, saved questions, and dashboards that are essential for getting started with Tanium. Successful installation of the content pack indicates the Tanium Server can communicate with the content.tanium.com servers.
- Tanium™ Interact content pack.
- Tanium™ Interact workbench, which comprises the user interface for issuing questions, displaying results, and deploying actions. Successful installation of Interact indicates that the Tanium Server and Module Server can communicate with each other.
- Default computer groups that encompass different platforms: see Tanium Console User Guide: Default computer groups.
- Tanium™ Initial Content
- Verify that the Tanium Server connects to a remote Module Server: Go to the Tanium Console info page (https://<Tanium_Server_FQDN>/info and search for Module Count. If the entry lists 127.0.0.1, the Tanium Server is using the local Module Server, and you must revisit the steps you performed to install the Tanium Server and remote Module Server.
- (HA deployments only) Import Tanium solution modules through the Tanium Console of each Tanium Server that you installed in the HA cluster: see Tanium Core Platform User Guide: Managing Tanium solutions. Successful imports indicate that all the Tanium Servers in the HA cluster can connect to content.tanium.com.
The import process installs the actual modules onto the Module Server that all Tanium Servers share, but installs the module workbenches on the Tanium Server.
- Perform the steps under Tanium Client User Guide: Using the Tanium Client Deployment Tool to complete the following tasks.
These tasks apply only to Tanium Client 7.2 or earlier.
- Install the Tanium Client Deployment Tool (CDT).
- Use the CDT to deploy Tanium Clients to the Tanium Core Platform servers.
- Use Interact to issue the question Get Computer Name and Tanium Server Name from all machines.
Verify that the Question Results grid shows replies from all the Tanium Core Platform servers.
- Review recent Tanium Client registration details at Administration > System Status.
Successful registration indicates the Tanium Clients installed correctly and can communicate with the Tanium Server.
- (HA deployments only) Verify that all the Tanium Servers in the HA cluster can download packages with URL-specified files when such a package is created or imported. Distribute Application Management Tools is an example of a package with URL-specified files.
- (HA deployments only) Create a new package and specify a locally uploaded file: see Tanium Console User Guide: Create a package. After you save the package, wait a moment for HA synchronization to occur, and then verify that all the Tanium Servers in the HA cluster downloaded and cached the files.
If verification fails, see Troubleshoot server installation issues.
Last updated: 2/25/2020 4:12 PM | Feedback