Saved questions are questions that you can store on the Tanium Server as configuration objects and reissue without retyping them in the Interact Ask a Question field or Question Builder. For an overview of saved questions and related concepts, see Saved questions.
Use the following Interact pages to view, issue, create, and edit saved questions, and to move the questions between content sets. You can also perform actions that are specific to each page:
- Interact Content page: Use this page to define categories and dashboards, and assign saved questions to them. You can also select specific questions, dashboards, and categories as favorites.
- Interact Home page. Use this page to see your favorite categories, dashboards, and saved questions.
For details about the user roles and permissions required to manage saved questions, see User role requirements.
When multiple users work with the same saved question, the following factors control which users can see the question, and which question settings and results the users can see:
- User role permissions: To view and edit a saved question, a user must have the required role permissions for the content set to which the question is assigned (see User role requirements). Additionally, the following settings in the question configuration interact with role permissions to affect which users can see the question and which other settings they can see:
- Visibility: Determines whether the question is visible only to the owner (question creator) and administrators, or to any user who has the required role permissions.Determines whether the question is visible only to the owner (question creator), or to any user who has the required role permissions.
- Default Preferences: Determine the default values that users see for the User Settings & Defaults in the question configuration.
- User-specific configuration changes: When a user saves changes to the question configuration,
Tanium as a Service the Tanium Serversaves a copy of the question. Upon logging into the server, users see only the copy with their own changes.
- Computer group management rights: The computer groups assigned to users and user groups determine the visibility of the saved question Reissue interval and recent question results.
For details, see the KB article Reference: User-specific saved questions.
- Use the Interact Ask a Question field or Question Builder to ask a dynamic question.
- Click Save above the question field to open the New Saved Question page.
- Complete the settings described in the following table.
- According to RBAC. Users must have the Read Saved Question permission for the content set to which the saved question belongs to see the saved question.
- Only the Owner and Admins. Only the question owner (creator) and users with the Administrator reserved role can see the saved question.Only the question owner (creator) can see the saved question.
- If you specify an eight-hour reissue interval, the Tanium Server reissues the question exactly every eight hours, regardless of time changes due to daylight savings time.
- Which users can see the reissue interval for a saved question depends on the computer groups assigned to those users. For details, see the KB article Reference: User-specific saved questions.
- Non-counting questions consume more disk storage because the Tanium Server maintains the answer strings for each endpoint (based on computer ID).
- You cannot change this setting after you save a new saved question configuration.
- Current: The grid displays results only from endpoints that are currently online.
- Recent: In addition to results from online endpoints, this option includes results from offline endpoints if those results still reside on the Tanium Server after the last time the server issued that question.
- Click Preview to preview the results you will get when you use the saved question.
- Click Create Saved Question.
|Name||Specify a configuration name. The name appears in saved question lists that are incorporated into Tanium Console workflows. Observe the existing naming scheme so that you and other users can find it easily.|
|Content Set||Assign to a content set. The list is populated with all content sets for which you have Write Saved Question permission.|
|Reissue this question every||If you want to periodically reissue the question, specify a number and unit for the reissue interval: Minutes, Hours, Days. The Tanium Server first issues the saved question immediately after you save the configuration. Tanium Clients that are online at that time respond with their answers. You can use the reissue option to account for clients that are currently offline but will be online later. For example, employee laptops that are offline at the moment you save the saved question configuration might be online at least once during an eight-hour reissue interval.
If you configure reissuing, the Tanium Server reissues the saved question in the background at the specified interval. For example, if you save the saved question configuration at 9:00 a.m. local time and specify a reissue interval of every eight hours, the Tanium Server reissues the saved question at 5:00 p.m., 1:00 a.m., 9:00 a.m., and so on. By default, the Tanium server caches responses for seven days, and displays the cached responses in the Question Results grid for endpoints that are offline when the server issues the question. You can use the Question History to verify that the server issues the saved questions based on the specified reissue interval.
|Default preferences||The User Settings & Defaults that users see for a saved question vary based on their role permissions and the Default Preferences setting. Default preferences are useful when you want a question to initially have the same values for all users until the users edit those settings. Only users who have the Administrator or Content Administrator reserved role can see and set Default Preferences. For details, see the KB article Reference: User-specific saved questions.|
|Make this question available for drilldown||Enabling this option makes the question available for drill-down operations on question results. When you select results in the Question Results grid and click Drill Down, the Select Drilldown Question dialog opens and displays the available questions in the Saved Questions tab. You can then select the question and click Drill Down to filter the results based on that question. For details, see Drill down.|
|Non-Counting Question / Counting Question||The option to convert the question to a non-counting question is available only if the question has one sensor in the get clause. Converting to a non-counting question enables the Tanium Server to store the answers as recent data, which the server uses when live data is unavailable (when the answering endpoints are offline). For details, see Display current or recent question results. Converting to a non-counting question also enables the merging option.
|Make this question available for merging||Only non-counting questions provide this option to make the question available for merge operations (see Merge questions). You cannot change this setting after you save a new saved question configuration.|
|Default Tab||Specify a default tab: Question, Grid, or Pie. The Default Tab setting is saved as a user preference unless you set the Default Preferences to all users.|
|Default Grid Chart Zoom||Select whether the Question Results grid initially displays only current results or both current and stored results:
For details on these options, see Display results for online and offline endpoints.
|Associated Actions||Optional. Click Add Package and select the package that you want to be the default when a user clicks the Deploy Action button in the Question Results grid.|
The Tanium Server reissues your question and displays the results in the saved question results grid. Depending on the settings you configured, the saved question might appear in the saved question lists that are used in various Tanium Console workflows.
When you save a question that has a parameterized sensor, the sensor definition, including the substituted values, is saved in an object called a temp sensor. On the endpoint, the Tanium™ Client runs the temp sensor when it computes answers to a saved question that calls it. A saved question that is reissued according to a schedule continues to use the temp sensor even if the sensor from which it was based is updated. Therefore, if a sensor is updated, and you want the saved question to use the updated code, you must re-create the saved question.
As a best practice, do not edit saved questions that are provided through Tanium content packs (for details, see Tanium Console User Guide: Best practices for resolving import conflicts (Tip 4)). If editing Tanium-provided questions is necessary, review User-specific saved questions and consult your Technical Account Manager (TAM). Alternatively, you can create copies of Tanium-provided questions and edit the copies. You can also edit custom saved questions that you created from scratch. To edit a saved question:
From the Interact menu, click Content, find the question in the Saved Questions panel, mouse over the question, click Options , and select Edit Properties.
- Configure the settings described in Create a saved question and then save your changes.
If you create a saved question based on a parameterized sensor and then modify the sensor, the saved question behavior will still reflect the original sensor definition. Only after you modify the saved question will it behave as expected with the new sensor definition. For details on parameterized sensors, see Asking questions .
The number of saved questions tends to increase as your team uses the Tanium system more. To find specific questions when the Interact Content page has too many to scan quickly, you can filter by text strings, categories, dashboards, and favorites.
In the Interact Content page, you can select check boxes in the panels so that only items belonging to the selected categories or dashboards appear. You can apply multiple filters. Click Deselect in a panel header to deselect all its filters.
In the Interact Content page, you can use text filters in the panels to find items that match a specified string. Click the x in the text search box to deselect the filter.
A favorite is a category, dashboard, or saved question that you want to appear on the Interact Home page. You can also use favorites as an optional filter on the Interact Content page. The Tanium Server saves favorites as a user-specific setting; your favorites selections do not apply to other users.
Items that you select as favorites before upgrading to Interact 2.0 or later remain favorites after upgrading. If you did not have favorites before an upgrade or before installing a new Tanium Server, all categories and dashboards for which you have read permission are set as favorites anyway.
To configure the display of favorite content, perform the following steps:
- From the Interact menu, click Content.
On the Interact Home page, clicking the Favorites icon for an item deselects it as a favorite and removes it from the page. However, the Home page does not provide the option to show items that are not favorites, so you cannot restore favorite status to items on that page.
- Beside the name of a category, dashboard, or saved question, toggle the Favorites icon to select or deselect that item as a favorite.
To reduce clicks, click Favorite All or Unfavorite All in a panel header and then toggle on or off individual items in that panel.
- Toggle the Show only filter by clicking Favorites.
The button changes to a dark background to indicate that the panels display only favorites.
After you find and select your favorite Categories or Dashboards, you might want to toggle off the Favorites filter so that the Saved Questions panel displays both favorite and non-favorite questions.
After you save a question, you can manually reissue it anytime by performing one of the following steps:
- From the Interact menu, click Content and click the question name in the Saved Questions panel.
- If the question is selected as a favorite, go to the Interact Home page, scroll down to the Favorite Saved Questions, and click the question name. You can also find and click the question name after navigating to it in the Favorite Categories or Favorite Dashboards sections.
The Tanium Console displays the results in the saved question results page. This page provides the option to see recent results from offline endpoints if those results still reside on the Tanium Server after the last time the question was issued. The server stores the results of saved questions for seven days by default. For details, see Display results for online and offline endpoints.
If you want to simultaneously issue all the questions in a dashboard, see Issue a dashboard of saved questions.
In some cases, it is useful to issue several saved questions that are related based on the kind of information they retrieve from endpoints. In such cases, you can group the questions in a single dashboard and issue them simultaneously. For example, the predefined Hardware Inventory dashboard contains questions that retrieve chassis type, operating system, monitor, CPU, disk, memory, and BIOS information.
To issue all the questions in a dashboard:
- From the Interact menu, click Content.
- In the Dashboards panel, click the dashboard name.
The Tanium Console displays the dashboard results page, which shows a results grid for each saved question in the dashboard.
For each question, the dashboard results page provides all the features that are available in the saved question results page, such as viewing Current, Recent, or Cached results (see Managing question results). The dashboard results page also has the following features (matching the numbers in Figure 4):
|Use the dashboards drop-down list to issue a different dashboard.|
|Use the Filter All Questions Displayed drop-down to filter all the results grids by computer group.|
|The page displays the dashboard name, favorite status ( for favorite, for non-favorite), and number of saved questions in the dashboard. Click the favorite icon / to toggle the favorite status of the dashboard.|
|For each results grid, the page displays the question name and favorite status. Click the favorite icon / to toggle the favorite status of the question. Click the question name to reissue the question. Click Edit to change the question settings (see Edit a saved question).|
|For each results grid, the page displays the question syntax. To display the syntax in the Ask a Question field or Question Builder, click Add beside the syntax and select either option.|
|Apply additional filters to a specific results grid.
Tanium modules and content packs
- In the Categories panel heading, click Options and select New Category.
Specify a Name, Content Set, and Visibility option, and then click Save.
- In the Dashboards panel heading, click Options and select New Dashboard.
Specify a configuration Name, Computer Group Filter, Content Set, and Visibility option, and then click Save.
By default, new dashboards belong to the Other Dashboards category. Only users with the Administrator or Content Administrator role can see that category, and therefore only those users, and the dashboard creator, can see the new dashboard. If you want other users to see the new dashboard, a user with the required permissions must move it to another category.
- In the Categories panel, mouse over the category, click Options , and select Add/Remove Dashboards.
- In the Dashboards panel, select the dashboards to include in this category and click Apply.
- In the Dashboards panel, mouse over the category, click Options , and select Add/Remove Saved Questions.
- In the Saved Questions panel, select the saved questions to include in this dashboard and click Apply.
- In the Categories or Dashboards panel, mouse over the category or dashboard, click Options , and select Edit Category Information or Edit Dashboard Information.
- Edit the settings and save the configuration.
To edit saved questions settings, see Edit a saved question.
When you delete a category, the Tanium Server reassigns its dashboards to the Other Dashboards category. When you delete a dashboard, the Tanium Server does not assign its saved questions to any other dashboard.
- In the Categories or Dashboards panel, mouse over the category or dashboard and click Delete .
- Confirm that you want to delete the configuration.
You cannot delete a saved question configuration from the Interact Content page, only from the
- Click Options in the panel heading and select Export Categories, Export Dashboards, or Export Questions.
- Select items to export or Select all.
- Click Export.
- Specify a File Name and click OK.
Last updated: 7/2/2020 8:56 AM | Feedback