Building and publishing boards
The process to build and publish a board contains these primary steps:
- Create a board.
- Edit the board.
- Add sections to the board.
- Add panels to the board.
- Save the board.
- Publish boards.
- From the Trends menu, click Boards.
- Click New Board.
- Enter a name and description for the board.
- (Optional) Assign a content set to the board.
- By default, Trends assigns boards to the Trends content set.
- A board is available only to users with permission to the content set.
- Only content sets to which you have permission to create boards appear as options.
- Click Create.
Trends saves the board and opens the All Boards page.
To quickly create similar boards, you can clone an existing board and then edit the new board. To clone a board, open the board, click More, and select Clone. The cloned board displays with the same name as the original board with " - Clone" appended to the name.
After you create a board, you can edit the board to add, remove, and reorder sections and panels. You can edit a board at any time, including boards in the initial gallery.
Any changes that you make to the board are not saved until you click Save.
- To edit a board, open the board from the All Boards page and click Edit.
- To move a panel within a section, click Move Left or Move Right until the panel is at the desired location.
- To change the width of a panel, click Expand or Collapse .
- To edit text that displays on the board, click Edit next to the text.
- When you delete a section, any panels in the section are also deleted.
- When you delete a board, any panels and sections in the board are also deleted.
A section is a collapsible division on a board that you can use to group panels. A board can have multiple sections, and each section can contain multiple panels. Sections are optional.
- Open the board from the All Boards page and click Edit.
- Click Add Section.
- Specify a name and description text.
- Click Continue.
The section is added to the bottom of the board.
To move sections, click Reorder Sections, drag the section blocks into your preferred order, and click Continue.
The source that you want to use for the panel must exist before you create the panel. For more information, see Working with sources.
- In the location where you want the panel, click Add Panel.
- Use the Add Panel dialog to specify the following settings:
- Choose a source. Settings include:
- Select a chart type. For more information, see Reference: Chart options in Trends.
- Customize the chart information. The available settings depend on the source type and the chart type. Settings include:
- Linear - Use consistent values on the y-axis. For example, if the minimum data point on a chart is 1, and the maximum data point is 100, the y-axis values would be 0, 20, 40, 60, 80, and 100.
- Logarithmic - Scale the y-axis on an exponential basis. Use this option for charts that contain a large range of data points.
- Count - Display the data in a number chart as a number.
- Percentage - Display the data as a percentage. This option only changes the format of the value to display; the value is not recalculated. Use this option when values are between 0 and 1. For example, 0.4 displays as 40%.
- Default - Display large values (>= 1000) on the y-axis with International System of Units (SI) prefixes, and full numbers for hover and chart labels. For example, the y-axis might display 1.23M for an item and hovering the cursor over the item displays 1,230,000.
- Percentage - Display values as percentages. This option only changes the format of the values to display; values are not recalculated. Use this option when values are between 0 and 1. For example, 0.4 displays as 40%.
- SI Prefix - Display all large values using SI prefixes. For example, 1,230,000 displays as 1.23M.
- To exclude an item from the chart, deselect the checkbox next to the item.
- Click the color next to any item to change the color that displays for that item. Colors can be reused by multiple items.
Source Select the saved question source or module source. Field (Saved question sources only) For saved question sources that return multiple fields, select the field to use for the panel. If the source contains one field, such as a saved question source that uses a single column sensor, only one option is available. Value (Module sources only) For module sources that contain multiple calculated values, select the value to display in the panel. Group By (Module sources only) Select how to group data on the panel. This setting is only available for module sources that contain fields by which to group data. Name Specify a name to display at the top of the panel. Description Type a description to inform other users about the purpose of the configuration. The description displays on the Board and Panel pages. X Axis Label Enter a label to display horizontally under the chart. This option only displays for chart types that use axis labels. Y Axis Label Enter a label to display vertically to the left of the chart. This option only displays for chart types that use axis labels. Computer Group (Saved question sources only) Select the default computer group for which to display data in the panel. The computer groups include computer groups that are available to Trends and that you have access to. To edit which computer groups are available to Trends, see Select computer groups. Date Range Select a date for one day charts or a date range for historical charts. For more information, see Reference: Chart options in Trends. Scale
For vertical bar charts, area charts, and line charts, select how to scale values on the y-axis. Options include:
Subtitle (Number charts only) Text to display under the value in the number chart. Display Options (Number charts only) Select how to display the value in a number chart. Trend Indicator (Number charts with saved question sources only) Select to hide or show a trend indicator on the chart. When you select Show, select the direction of the indicator, and the value to compare with the current value. If the value that you want to compare against does not exist, the trend indicator does not display. Source Value Format (Module sources only) Select how to display values in the chart for items and axis scales. Options include: Counts (Saved question sources only) Select to include data from Online clients, or data from Online and most recent offline clients. The online and offline statuses relate to the time when Trends collected results, not the present time. Online clients are endpoints that responded to the question within the last 24 hours. Online and most recent offline clients are endpoints that responded within the last week. Items To Display The maximum number of items to display in the chart. Sort Order Select to order items in the chart ascendingly (low to high) or descendingly (high to low). Sort Key Select to order items in the chart by name or result. Background Color Select the default background color of the chart. Conditional Formatting Expand Conditional Formatting and click Add Condition to add a label to the chart when a threshold condition is met. In addition, you can apply the conditional color to the background of the chart; this overwrites the default background color. When you add conditional formatting, viewers can easily identify panels that need attention. You can add multiple conditions to a chart. Conditions are evaluated in descending order; the first condition that triggers a match is applied to the chart. Legend Display Options Use this section to customize the items that appear in the chart.
- Click Continue.
The panel displays on the board and displays any data collected by the source.
To exit editing without saving changes, click Revert.
Click Favorite next to any board or panel name to add it to your favorites list. You can quickly access all your favorite boards and panels from the Trends Overview page.
You can publish one or more boards to a standalone HTML file that you can distribute to stakeholders or post to an internal web server. Published files download to your local file system through the browser.
- From the Trends menu, click Boards.
- Select the checkboxes next to one or more boards that you want to publish.
If you select multiple boards, Trends publishes the boards to a single HTML file.
- Click Publish.
- Select the computer group for which to display data in each panel. You can choose to use the computer groups that are currently displayed in each panel, or select a computer group for all panels.
- Select the date range for which to display data in each panel. You can choose to use the date ranges that are currently displayed in each panel, or select a custom date range for all panels. If you select a custom date range, single-day charts use the To date.
- Click Download.
Trends renders the selected boards into an HTML file that downloads to the local file system.
Use Connect to deliver published boards in an HTML format to Email, File, and AWS S3 destinations.
Before you begin
- You must have access to Connect with the Connect Operator role.
- You must have access to Connect with the Connect Operator or Connect Administrator role.
- You must have a role with permission to publish boards. Permissions that provide access to publish boards include Trends Publish, Trends API Board Read, and Trends Data Read. Predefined roles with required permission include Trends Author, Trends Board Author, and Trends Operator.
- You must have a role with permission to publish boards. Permissions that provide access to publish boards include Trends Publish, Trends API Board Read, and Trends Data Read. Predefined roles with required permission include Trends Administrator, Trends Author, Trends Board Author, and Trends Operator.
- You must have Connect 4.11.2 or later and Trends 2.4.0 or later.
- You must first create or import a board in Trends.
Create a connection
- From the Main menu, go to Modules > Connect.
- From the Connect Overview page, scroll to the Connections section and click Create Connection.
- In the General Information section, provide a name and description for the connection.
- In the Configuration section, select Tanium Trends for the source.
- Select the board to publish.
- (Optional) To override the default computer group for each panel, select a specific Group Name.
- If you select a Group Name, this setting overrides any default computer group for each panel.
- If you do not select a Group Name, the board uses the computer groups that are currently set in each panel.
- For the destination, select where you want Connect to send the board. Provide any additional configuration for the type of destination you select.
- For the best results when sending boards to Email or File, select a compression method in the Advanced settings. If you do not select a compression method, Connect sends the file as HTML.
- If you select File and choose a compression method, make sure the file extension in File Name is the same as the compression method.
- If you select Email, make sure to select Attachment in the Advanced settings.
- (Optional) In the Schedule section, set up a schedule to publish the board.
- Click Save.
When the connection runs, the board is published and sent to the destination according to the schedule that you set. To manually publish the board using the connection settings, select the connection on the Connect Overview page and click Run Now.
For more information about connections, see Tanium Connect User Guide: Managing connections.
Last updated: 11/24/2020 8:00 PM | Feedback