Building and publishing boards
The process to build and publish a board contains these primary steps:
- Create a board.
- Edit the board.
- Add sections to the board.
- Add panels to the board.
- Save the board.
- Publish boards.
- From the Trends menu, click Boards.
- Click New Board.
- Enter a name and description for the board.
- (Optional) Assign a content set to the board.
- By default, Trends assigns boards to the Trends content set.
- A board is available only to users with permission to the content set.
- Only content sets to which you have permission to cretae boards appear as options.
- Click Create.
Trends saves the board and displays the All Boards page.
To quickly create similar boards, you can clone an existing board and then edit the new board. To clone a board, open the board, click More, and select Clone. The cloned board displays with the same name as the original board with " - Clone" appended to the name.
After you create a board, you can edit the board to add, remove, and reorder sections and panels. You can edit a board at any time, including boards in the initial gallery.
Any changes that you make to the board are not saved until you click Save.
- To edit a board, open the board from the All Boards page and click Edit.
- To move a panel within a section, click Move Left or Move Right until the panel is at the desired location.
- To change the width of a panel, click Expand or Collapse .
- To edit text that displays on the board, click Edit next to the text.
- When you delete a section, any panels in the section are also deleted.
- When you delete a board, any panels and sections in the board are also deleted.
A section is a collapsible division on a board that you can use to group panels. A board can have multiple sections, and each section can contain multiple panels. Sections are optional.
The section is added to the bottom of the board.
To move sections, click Reorder Sections, drag the section blocks into your preferred order, and click Continue.
The source that you want to use for the panel must exist before you create the panel. For more information, see Working with sources.
- In the location where you want the panel, click Add Panel.
- Use the Add Panel dialog to specify the following settings:
- Choose a source. Settings include:
- Select a chart type. For more information, see Reference: Chart options in Trends.
- Customize the chart information. Settings include:
- Default - Display large values (>= 1000) on the y-axis with International System of Units (SI) prefixes, and full numbers for hover and chart labels. For example, the y-axis might display 1.23M for an item and hovering the cursor over the item displays 1,230,000.
- Percentage - Display values as percentages. This option only changes the format of the values to display; values are not recalculated. Use this option when values are between 0 and 1. For example, 0.4 displays as 40%.
- SI Prefix - Display all large values using SI prefixes. For example, 1,230,000 displays as 1.23M.
- To exclude an item from the chart, deselect the checkbox next to the item.
- Click the color next to any item to change the color that displays for that item. Colors can be reused by multiple items.
Source Select the saved question source or module source. Field (Saved question sources only) For saved question sources that return multiple fields, select the field to use for the panel. If the source contains one field, such as a saved question source that uses a single column sensor, only one option is available. Value (Module sources only) For module sources that contain multiple calculated values, select the value to display in the panel. Group By (Module sources only) Select how to group data on the panel. This setting is only available for module sources that contain fields by which to group data. Name Specify a name to display at the top of the panel. Description Type a description to inform other administrators about the purpose of the configuration. The description displays on the Board and Panel pages. X Axis Label Enter a label to display horizontally under the chart. This option only displays for chart types that use axis labels. Y Axis Label Enter a label to display vertically to the left of the chart. This option only displays for chart types that use axis labels. Computer Group (Saved question sources only) Select the default computer group for which to display data in the panel. The computer groups include computer groups that are available to Trends and that you have access to. To edit which computer groups are available to Trends, see Select computer groups. Date Range Select a date for one day charts or a date range for historical charts. For more information, see Reference: Chart options in Trends. Source Value Format (Module sources only) Select how to display values in the chart for items and axis scales. Options include: Counts (Saved question sources only) Select to include data from Online clients, or data from Online and most recent offline clients. The online and offline statuses relate to the time when Trends collected results, not the present time. Online clients are endpoints that responded to the question within the last 24 hours. Online and most recent offline clients are endpoints that responded within the last week. Items To Display The maximum number of items to display in the chart. Sort Order Select to order items in the chart ascendingly (low to high) or descendingly (high to low). Sort Key Select to order items in the chart by name or result. Background Color Select the default background color of the chart. Conditional Formatting Click Add Condition to add a threshold condition that changes the background color of the chart. When you add conditional formatting, viewers can easily identify panels that need attention. You can add multiple conditions to a chart. Conditions are evaluated in descending order; the first condition that triggers a match is applied to the chart. Legend Display Options Use this section to customize the items that appear in the chart.
- Click Continue.
The panel displays on the board and displays any data collected by the source.
To exit editing without saving changes, click Revert.
Click Favorite next to any board or panel name to add it to your favorites list. You can quickly access all your favorite boards and panels from the Trends Home page.
You can publish one or more boards to a standalone HTML file that you can distribute to stakeholders or post to an internal web server. Published files download to your local file system through the browser.
- From the Trends menu, click Boards.
- Select the checkboxes next to one or more boards that you want to publish.
If you select multiple boards, Trends publishes the boards to a single HTML file.
- Click Publish.
- Select the computer group for which to display data in each panel. You can choose to use the computer groups that are currently displayed in each panel, or select a computer group for all panels.
- Select the date range for which to display data in each panel. You can choose to use the date ranges that are currently displayed in each panel, or select a custom date range for all panels. If you select a custom date range, single-day charts use the To date.
- Click Download.
Trends renders the selected boards into an HTML file that downloads to the local file system.
Use Connect to deliver published boards in an HTML format to Email, File, and AWS S3 destinations.
Before you begin
- You must have access to Connect with the Connect User or Connect Administrator role.
- You must have a role with permission to publish boards. Permissions that provideaccess to publish boards include Trends Publish, Trends API Board Read, and Trends Data Read. Predefined roles with required permission include Trends Administrator, Trends Author, and Trends Board Author.
- You must have Connect 4.11.2 or later and Trends 2.4.0 or later.
- You must first create or import a board in Trends.
Create a connection
- From the Connect menu, click Connections and then click Create Connection > Create.
- Under General Information, provide a name and description for the connection.
- Under Source and Destination, select Tanium Trends.
- Select the board to export.
- (Optional) To override the default computer group for each panel, you can select a specific group.
- Select default to use the computer groups that are currently set in each panel.
- Otherwise, select a computer group for all panels on the board. This setting overrides any default computer group for each panel.
- Under Destination, select where you want Connect to send the board. Provide any additional configuration for the type of destination you select.
- For the best results when sending boards to Email or File, select a compression method. If you do not select a compression method, Connect sends the file as HTML.
- If you select File and choose a compression method, make sure the file extension in File Name is the same as the compression method.
- Under Schedule, set up the schedule to export the board.
- Click Create Connection.
When the connection runs, the board is published and sent to the destination according to the schedule that you set. To manually publish the board using the connection settings, you can select the connection through Connect and click Run Now.
For more information about connections, see Tanium Connect User Guide: Managing connections.
Last updated: 10/15/2019 3:54 PM | Feedback