If you did not install Provision with the Apply All Tanium recommended configurations option, you must configure certain features.
When you import Provision with automatic configuration, the following default settings are configured:
The following default settings are configured for Provision:
The service account is set to the account that you used to import the module.
Configuring a unique service account for each Tanium solution is an extra security measure to consider in consultation with the security team of your organization. See Configure service account.
Tanium Endpoint Configuration delivers configuration information and required tools for Tanium Solutions to endpoints. Endpoint Configuration consolidates the configuration actions that traditionally accompany additional Tanium functionality and eliminates the potential for timing errors that occur between when a solution configuration is made and the time that configuration reaches an endpoint. Managing configuration in this way greatly reduces the time to install, configure, and use Tanium functionality, and improves the flexibility to target specific configurations to groups of endpoints.
Endpoint Configuration is installed as a part of Tanium Client Management. For more information, see the Tanium Client Management User Guide: Installing Client Management.
Additionally you can use Endpoint Configuration to manage configuration approval. For example, configuration changes are not deployed to endpoints until a user with approval permission approves the configuration changes in Endpoint Configuration. For more information about the roles and permissions that are required to approve configuration changes for Provision, see User role requirements.
To use Endpoint Configuration to manage approvals, you must enable configuration approvals.
- From the Main menu, go to Administration > Shared Services > Endpoint Configuration to open the Endpoint Configuration Overview page.
- Click Settings and click the Global tab.
- Select Enable configuration approvals, and click Save.
For more information about Endpoint Configuration, see Tanium Endpoint Configuration User Guide.
If you enabled configuration approvals, the following configuration changes must be approved in Endpoint Configuration before they deploy to PXE endpoints:
- Provision tools
- Provision contract
- Provision manifest
The service account is a user that runs several background processes for Provision. This user requires the following roles and access:
- Provision Service Account role
If you installed Tanium Client Management, Endpoint Configuration is installed, and by default, configuration changes initiated by the module service account (such as tool deployment) require approval. You can bypass approval for module-generated configuration changes by applying the Endpoint Configuration Bypass Approval permission to this role and adding the relevant content sets. For more information, see Tanium Endpoint Configuration User Guide: User role requirements.
For more information about Provision permissions, see User role requirements.
If you imported Provision with default settings, the service account is set to the account that you used to perform the import. Configuring a unique service account for each Tanium solution is an extra security measure to consider in consultation with the security team of your organization.
- On the Provision Overview page, click Settings and then click Service Account if needed.
- Provide a user name and password, and then click Save.
By default, the Provision action group is set to the All Computers computer group. You can update the action group if needed.
- From the Main menu, go to Administration > Actions > Action Groups.
- Click Tanium Provision.
- Select the computer groups that you want to include in the action group and click Save.
If you select multiple computer groups, choose an operator (AND or OR) to combine the groups.
You can use the following set of predefined user roles to set up Provision users.
To review specific permissions for each role, see User role requirements.
For more information about assigning user roles, see Tanium Core Platform User Guide: Manage role assignments for a user.
Assign the Provision Administrator role to users who manage the configuration and deployment of Provision functionality to endpoints.
This role can perform the following tasks:
- Configure Provision service settings.
- View and modify Provision configurations.
Provision Read Only User
Assign the Provision Read Only User role to users who need visibility into Provision data.
This role can view Provision service settings and configurations.
Provision Service Account
Assign the Provision Service Account role to the account that configures system settings for Provision.
This role can perform several background processes for Provision.
Provision Endpoint Configuration Approver
Assign the Provision Endpoint Configuration Approver role to a user who approves or rejects Provision configuration items in Tanium Endpoint Configuration.
This role can perform the following tasks: approve, reject, or dismiss changes that target endpoints where Provision is installed.
- On the Provision Overview page, click Settings and then click Configuration if needed.
- (Windows endpoints) To automatically open the required firewall ports on Windows endpoints, select Create Local Firewall Rule.
For macOS or Linux endpoints, manually open UDP ports 67, 69, 4011, and the TCP port that is used for caching. The default port for HTTP caching is 17519 and the default port for HTTPS/TLS caching is 17530.
- (Optional) If you want to enable reporting of DHCP requests and other helpful information for troubleshooting, select Verbose Logging.
- (Optional) If you want to use Tanium Client instead of directly downloading files, select Use Tanium Client to download content to Tanium PXE.
- (Optional) If you want to use a different port for HTTP caching, provide any unused TCP port number in the HTTP Cache Port field.
- (Optional) If you want to use a different port for HTTPS/TLS caching, provide any unused TCP port number in the HTTPS/TLS Cache Port field.
- Click Save.
Last updated: 1/24/2022 4:19 PM | Feedback