Upgrading from previous versions of Discover
Tanium Cloud automatically handles module installations and upgrades.
If you installed previous versions of Discover, complete the following migration activities. To upgrade to Discover 4.0 or later, you must have Discover 2.10 or later. If you are using a release prior to 2.10, contact Tanium Support. For more information, see Contact Tanium Support.
Select one of the following upgrade paths based on your environment:
- Upgrade from Discover 2.10 or later to 3.3 and then 3.3 to 4.0 or later
- Upgrade from Discover 3.3 to 4.0 or later.
Upgrade from Discover 2.10 or later to 3.3 if you have a substantial number of discovery method configurations. Discover 3.3 can migrate discovery method configurations to profiles. After you complete this upgrade, then Upgrade from Discover 3.3 to 4.0 or later.
Upgrade Discover module from 2.10 or later to 3.3
- Contact Tanium Support to obtain the Discover 3.3 module package. For more information, see Contact Tanium Support.
- From the Main menu, go to Administration > Configuration > Solutions and import the module.
- Review the list of saved actions, packages, and sensors. Most are overwritten during the upgrade process. Select Include content set overwrite. Click Proceed with Import.
- To confirm the upgrade, return to the Solutions page and check the installed version for Discover.
- The Discover actions are re-created during upgrade. If you have action approval enabled, you must approve these actions again. From the Main menu, go to Console > Actions > Actions To Approve. For more information, see Tanium Console User Guide: Using action approval.
You can now configure an action group that deploys tools to specific computer groups. For more information, see Installing Discover.
Networking mapping tools, such as Npcap, are only distributed to endpoints when a scan is scheduled.
When you upgrade Discover, the existing scheduled actions for discovery methods are removed automatically. The Tanium Discover action group is used with Discover 3.0 or later. Do not delete this action group.
Discover 3.0 changed the configuration and targeting of discover scans. Before 3.0, you deployed a discovery method to a computer group and then configured exclusions separately. With Discover 3, you create a profile that includes network inclusions and exclusions, discovery method, and schedule. For more information about profiles, see Configure profile for distributed scan.
After you upgrade to Discover 3, you can migrate existing configured discovery methods to profiles.
- From the Discover menu, click Profiles.
- In the Discovery Methods (Legacy) section, review the suggested profiles. To create a suggested profile, click Create This Profile.
- Review the configured settings for the profile and click Create.
- When you are done migrating the legacy discovery methods to profiles, click Delete All Methods to remove the remaining suggested profiles and the Discovery Methods (Legacy) section.
If the legacy discovery method uses the Override setting on the scan window, this setting gets overridden when you import a new version of Discover. When a new version of the Discover tools is deployed to the endpoints, the scan window gets reset and the previous scan data is deleted. Scans occur immediately.
Notify Tanium users not to use Discover until the upgrade process finishes. Otherwise, the users might lose work in progress.
For the steps to upgrade Discover, see Tanium Console User Guide: Import all modules and services.
After the upgrade, verify that the correct version is installed.
Last updated: 6/21/2022 5:15 PM | Feedback