Tanium as a Service automatically handles module installations and upgrades.
Use the Tanium Solutions page to install Discover and choose either automatic or manual configuration:
- Automatic configuration with default settings (Tanium 7.4.2 and later only): Discover is installed with any required dependencies and other selected products. After installation, the Tanium Server automatically configures the recommended default settings. This option is the best practice for most deployments. For more information about the automatic configuration for Discover, see Import and configure Discover with default settings.
- Manual configuration with custom settings: After installing Discover, you must manually configure required settings. Select this option only if Discover requires settings that differ from the recommended default settings. For more information, see Import and configure Discover with custom settings.
- Read the release notes.
- Review the Discover requirements.
- Review upgrade notes if you are upgrading from a previous version of Discover. See Upgrading from previous versions of Discover.
- Assign the correct roles to users for Discover. Review the User role requirements.
- To import the Discover solution, you must be assigned the Administrator reserved role.
- To configure the Discover action group, you must be assigned the Content Administrator reserved role.
When you import Discover with automatic configuration, the following default settings are configured:
- The Discover service account is set to the account that you used to import the module.
- The Discover action group is set to the computer group All Computers.
A Level 4 Nmap distributed profile is created and deployed to all Tanium Clients. For more information about this type of profile, see Level 4 (Nmap scan with host discovery and OS fingerprinting)
To import Discover and configure default settings, be sure to select the Apply Tanium recommended configurations check box while performing the steps in Tanium Console User Guide: Manage Tanium modules. After the import, verify that the correct version is installed: see Verify Discover version.
To import Discover without automatically configuring default settings, be sure to clear the Apply Tanium recommended configurations check box while performing the steps in Tanium Console User Guide: Manage Tanium modules. After the import, verify that the correct version is installed: see Verify Discover version.
The service account is a user that runs several background processes for Discover. This user requires the following roles and access:
- Tanium Administrator or Discover Service Account role.
- Access granted to computer groups on which Discover is going to scan.
- (Optional) Connect User role to send Discover event notifications with Tanium Connect.
For more information about Discover permissions, see User role requirements.
- From the Main menu, click Modules > Discover to open the Discover Home page.
- Click Settings and open the Service Account tab.
- Update the service account settings and click Save.
To run scans, endpoints must have the Discover tools installed. Importing the Discover module automatically creates an action group to target specific endpoints. Select the computer groups to include in the Discover action group. By default, Discover targets No Computers. For the best results, use All Computers.
To configure the action group, you must be assigned the Content Administrator reserved role.
- From the Main menu, go to Console > Actions > Scheduled Actions.
- In the list of action groups, click Tanium Discover.
- Click Edit, select computer groups to include in the action group, and click Save.
(Optional) Configure the import frequency. This setting determines how often the results from running discovery methods are imported to the Interfaces pages.
From the Discover Home page, click Settings and go to the Global Settings tab. Edit the Import Frequency setting.
For the steps to upgrade the Discover solution, see Tanium Console User Guide: Manage Tanium modules. After the upgrade, see Upgrading from previous versions of Discover to complete any required migration steps. To verify the version, see Verify Discover version.
After you import or upgrade Discover, verify that the correct version is installed:
- Refresh your browser.
- From the Main menu, go to Modules > Discover to open the Discover Overview page.
- To display version information, click Info .
Last updated: 9/1/2020 3:22 PM | Feedback