Tanium as a Service automatically handles module installations and upgrades.
For instructions on installing and configuring Discover in an on-premises environment, see Installing Discover.
When you import Discover with automatic configuration, the following default settings are configured:
The following settings are configured by default:
- The Discover service account is set to the account that you used to import the module.
- The Discover action group is set to the computer group All Computers.
- Level 4 Nmap distributed profile is created and deployed to all Tanium Clients. For more information about this type of profile, see Level 4 (Nmap scan with host discovery and OS fingerprinting)
Tanium Endpoint Configuration delivers configuration information and required tools for Tanium Solutions to endpoints. Endpoint Configuration consolidates the configuration actions that traditionally accompany additional Tanium functionality and eliminates the potential for timing errors that occur between when a solution configuration is made and the time that configuration reaches an endpoint. Managing configuration in this way greatly reduces the time to install, configure, and use Tanium functionality, and improves the flexibility to target specific configurations to groups of endpoints.
Endpoint Configuration is installed as a part of Tanium Client Management. For more information, see the Tanium Client Management User Guide: Installing Client Management.
Additionally you can use Endpoint Configuration to manage configuration approval. For example, configuration changes are not deployed to endpoints until a user with approval permission approves the configuration changes in Endpoint Configuration. For more information about the roles and permissions that are required to approve configuration changes for Discover, see User role requirements.
To use Endpoint Configuration to manage approvals, you must enable configuration approvals.
- From the Main menu, go to Administration > Shared Services > Endpoint Configuration to open the Endpoint Configuration Overview page.
- Click Settings and click the Global tab.
- Select Enable configuration approvals, and click Save.
For more information about Endpoint Configuration, see Tanium Endpoint Configuration User Guide.
To run scans, endpoints must have the Discover tools installed. Tanium Endpoint Configuration deploys the tools. Importing the Discover module automatically creates an action group to target specific endpoints.
Select the computer groups to include in the Discover action group. If you select the automatic configuration, by default, Discover targets All Computers. If you select the manual configuration, by default, Discover targets No Computers. For the best results, use All Computers.
By default, Discover targets All Computers. You can update the action group if needed.
If you have enabled Endpoint Configuration approval, configuration changes must be approved in Endpoint Configuration before they deploy to endpoints.
To configure the action group, you must be assigned the Content Administrator reserved role.
- From the Main menu, go to Administration > Actions > Action Groups.
- In the list of action groups, click Tanium Discover.
- Click Edit, select computer groups to include in the action group, and click Save.
Last updated: 3/3/2021 10:06 AM | Feedback