Installing Tanium Connect
Tanium as a Service automatically handles module installations and upgrades.
Use the Tanium Solutions page to install Connect and choose either automatic or manual configuration:
- Automatic configuration with default settings (Tanium Core Platform 7.4.2 or later only): Connect is installed with any required dependencies and other selected products. After installation, the Tanium Server automatically configures the recommended default settings. This option is the best practice for most deployments. For more information about the automatic configuration for Connect, see Import and configure Connect with default settings.
- Manual configuration with custom settings: After installing Connect, you must manually configure required settings. Select this option only if Connect requires settings that differ from the recommended default settings. For more information, see Import and configure Connect with custom settings.
- Read the release notes.
- Review the Connect requirements.
- If you are upgrading from a previous version, see Upgrade Connect.
When you import Connect with automatic configuration, the Connect service account is set to the account that you used to import the module.
To import Connect and configure default settings, be sure to select the Apply Tanium recommended configurations check box while performing the steps in Tanium Console User Guide: Manage Tanium modules. After the import, verify that the correct version is installed: see Verify Connect version.
To import Connect without automatically configuring default settings, be sure to clear the Apply Tanium recommended configurations check box while performing the steps in Tanium Console User Guide: Manage Tanium modules. After the import, verify that the correct version is installed: see Verify Connect version.
The service account is a user that runs several background processes for Connect. This user requires the Connect Service Account role.
For more information about Connect permissions, see User role requirements.
- From the Main menu, click Modules > Connect to open the Connect Overview page.
- Click Settings and open the Service Account tab.
- Update the service account settings and click Save.
You can configure the following settings for Connect in the Configuration tab of the Connect Settings:
Connection Run Log Expiration
Number of days before connection run logs are removed.
Connect Service Log Level
Log level for the Connect service logs.
Default Workbench Time Zone
Time zone that is used by default by the Connect workbench.
Allow anyone to run connections to IP addresses on an internal network. For more information, see Test connections.
Allow connections to run simultaneously.
Enforce maximum memory consumption limits within each connection, as well as a global maximum for the combined total maximum memory for all of the simultaneously running connections. This setting is useful when you have one or more demanding connections that frequently exhibit out of memory errors while running. When this setting is enabled you can additionally configure the Memory Ceiling Limit setting.
Memory Ceiling Limit
Maximum sum of memory (Gb) for all node processes to run connections.
Process Count Limit
Specify how many scheduled connections can run simultaneously, each with its own dedicated background process. This setting gives you better control over how many simultaneously running connections you want to allow in your environment, as specified by the Max Connection Run Processes setting. When this setting is enabled, you can additionally configure the Max Connection Run Processes and Queue Connections settings.
Max Connection Run Processes
Maximum number of processes to run connections
Option to queue additional scheduled connections when the maximum memory or process counts is reached. If this setting is not enabled, any connections beyond the specified maximum values that are attempting to run result in failures.
When you start the Connect workbench for the first time, the Tanium console ensures that all of the required dependencies for Connect are installed at the required version. You must install all required Tanium dependencies before the Connect workbench can load. A banner appears if one or more Tanium dependencies are not installed in the environment. The Tanium Console lists the required Tanium dependencies and the required versions.
- From the Main menu, go to Administration > Configuration > Solutions.
- Select the required solutions, click Import Selected, and then click Begin Import. When the import is complete, you are returned to the Tanium Solutions page.
- From the Main menu, go to Modules > Connect to open the Connect Overview page after you import all of the required Tanium dependencies.
Before you upgrade Connect, you must back up your <Tanium Module Server>\services\connect-files\config\connect.db file in case you need to revert to a previous version of Connect. The support package is the easiest way to obtain a backup of the Connect database. For more information, see Collect logs.
If you are upgrading from a version prior to Connect 4.12, you must Configure service account immediately after you upgrade. Verify that any previously created connections are still working correctly.
After you import or upgrade Connect, verify that the correct version is installed:
- Refresh your browser.
- From the Main menu, go to Modules > Connect to open the Connect Overview page.
- To display version information, click Info .
If you experience problems installing Connect, see Troubleshooting.
See Getting started for more information about using Connect.
Last updated: 11/13/2020 1:24 PM | Feedback