Installing Client Management
Tanium as a Service automatically handles module installations and upgrades.
Use the Tanium Solutions page to install Client Management and choose either automatic or manual configuration:
- Automatic configuration with default settings (Tanium Core Platform 7.4.2 or later only): Client Management is installed with any required dependencies and other selected products. After installation, the Tanium Server automatically configures the recommended default settings. This option is the best practice for most deployments. For more information about the automatic configuration for Client Management, see Import and configure Client Management with default settings.
- Manual configuration with custom settings: After installing Client Management, you must manually configure required settings. Select this option only if Client Management requires settings that differ from the recommended default settings. For more information, see Import and configure Client Management with custom settings.
- Read the release notes.
- Review the Client Management requirements.
- Assign the correct roles to users for Client Management. Review the User role requirements. To import the Client Management solution, you must be assigned the Administrator reserved role.
When you import Client Management with automatic configuration, the Client Management service account is set to the account that you used to import the module.
To import Client Management and configure default settings, be sure to select the Apply Tanium recommended configurations check box while performing the steps in Tanium Console User Guide: Manage Tanium modules. After the import, verify that the correct version is installed: see Installing Client Management.
To import Client Management without automatically configuring default settings, follow the steps in Tanium Console User Guide: Manage Tanium content packs. After the import, verify that the correct version is installed: see Installing Client Management.
The service account is a user that runs several background processes for Client Management. This user requires the following roles and access:
- Content Administrator and Tanium Client Administrator, or Tanium Administrator
- (Optional) Discover Read Only User role, to deploy to endpoints based on labels created in Tanium Discover
For more information about Client Management permissions, see User role requirements.
- From the Main menu, click Administration > Shared Services > Client Management to open the Client Management Home page.
- Click Settings and open the Service Account tab.
- Update the service account settings and click Save.
To verify that Client Management is installed, go to the Tanium Solutions page and check the installed version.
If you are using Tanium Server 7.2.x or 7.3.x, upload the Tanium public key. This public key enables the connection between the clients you are installing and the Tanium Server. This configuration occurs automatically with Tanium Server 7.4 and later.
- From the Client Management home page, click Settings .
- Click Choose File and select the tanium.pub file for your Tanium Server. The tanium.pub file is in the top-level installation directory for the Tanium Server.
- Click Upload.
If you cannot enable communication between your Tanium Module Server and content.tanium.com, contact your TAM to configure client installers on the Tanium Module Server.
See Getting started for more information about using Client Management.
Last updated: 9/15/2020 12:40 PM | Feedback